Effortless English Archives

Automatic English For The People

Thursday, June 16, 2005

Reading Aloud

by AJ

The other thing Im doing a lot of is reading aloud to my classes. This too felt a little strange at first. These are advanced students, so they are capable of reading for themselves.

So why do I read to them?

I read aloud to give them oral (listening) practice and input. When I read an article, they get to hear my pronunciation and intonation. If I read a new word, they hear how to pronounce it correctly. In this way they will improve their listening skills.

The only problem is that some of the articles are quite boring (especially the economic articles :) Also, I need to improve my delivery. My voice can be quite flat and boring. I need to inject more energy into the reading. Choosing more interesting articles would also help.

See Jim Trelease's website for more information (including research) related to reading aloud.

............