Effortless English Archives

Automatic English For The People

Wednesday, June 22, 2005

We

by AJ

Most people tend to think in terms of "teacher" and "students". The teacher controls and directs the class, while the students dutifully finish their assignments. But I think this is an outdated idea.... especially at the University level.

My students are highly intelligent, creative, and have advanced English skills. They attend the best university in Thailand (OK, co-best with Chula). They do not need to be controlled or directed.

In fact, in 1-4 years they will graduate and be on their own.

So I prefer to think in terms of "we" instead of "me" and "them". I view the class as a team. Yes, Im the coach. Its my job to lead and inspire. But just like in a soccer team, the coach cant actually play the game. He can cheer. He can think of a good strategy. But the players play the game. They are the stars. They make the plays. The do the hardest work.

Creating a good class is therefore a team effort. We must all do it. I must listen to the students. I must discover what they need and want. I must try to cheer them and inspire them and give them a good strategy. But they will do it. Its their game. They are the stars. Its not my job to control them... its my job to encouarage them to be their best. Its my job to let them do what they do best.

Luckily, Im coaching some very good teams.

......