Effortless English Archives

Automatic English For The People

Wednesday, October 26, 2005

The Carville Credo

by AJ

Recent events have strengthened my conviction. I've stirred a beehive of bureaucrats.. eager to sting me. I've shocked fellow teachers ("he seemed like such a nice guy"). I've inflamed the wrath of an army of administrators, staff, and teachers.

None of this surprises me. But my students have surprised me. There's been an amazing outpouring of support from them. Honestly, I expected them to shrug their shoulders and quickly move on. But they have not done this. Im getting more emails than I can quickly reply to. It seems the students are as positive as the TU apparatus is negative.

And honestly, thats what matters to me. I don't teach for the bureaucrats. I don't do it to bolster their egos or careers. I do it for the students and only for the students. Throughout my teaching experience I aim to adhere to one core credo. I call it the James Carville principle:

It's the students, stupid!