Effortless English Archives

Automatic English For The People

Tuesday, May 16, 2006

Spanish Update

by AJ

Just thought Id provide another update on my ever-so-slow Spanish learning efforts :)

At the moment Im working through a book called "Las Puertas Retorcidas" (The Twisted Doors)... Ive mentioned this book before. Im now almost 3/4 of the way through it. I fell off the wagon last week, but am back on my chapter per day schedule. Typically I listen to the previous 5 chapters a few times,... then I listen to the new chapter for the day.

After listening to it, I read it and look at the word list in order to learn the new words. I then listen and read at the same time... several times. Then I might back up and listen to 4 or 5 chapters again, including the newest one.

In this way Im slowly moving through the book. Its a pleasant story, so it doesnt feel like too much work.

As a supplement to Las Puertas Retorcidas, Im also listening to the Espanol Para Todos (Spanish for All) podcasts. So far Ive listened to two of them... following the basic approach above (listen, then read, then listen & read).

After getting encouragement from Steve Kaufman, Im trying to relax and not put too much pressure on myself. After all, when training for a marathon, consistency is the key!!

San Francisco, CA