Effortless English Archives

Automatic English For The People

Thursday, May 11, 2006

Time, Energy, & Money

by AJ

Ever since starting my current job, Ive been stuck with a dilemma. Im teaching between 17 to 20 hours per week (in class hours). I consider 20 to be my maximum. Beyond 20, I find I lose energy and passion quickly. Under 20 and Im able to pour myself into each class and (most days) do a good job.

The problem is, Im paid hourly. For six months, Ive been just scraping by financially. Ive resisted the urge to look for another job because I love the school Im at. Ive tried to add a few more hours by doing projects like the school newsletter & social calendar... but honestly dont particularly enjoy these activities (and have therefore not done a very good job with them).

So now I debate with myself-- do I stick with this job, which I love, and resign myself to no paid vacation, no health insurance, and no extra money (for travel, for instance). Or do I seek a higher paying one (or more hours) with the likelihood that Ill enjoy it less and be less passionate in the classroom. Do I go for quality & freedom (as I have now) or do I go for more money (quantity)?

Its not an easy choice. But I suppose it cant hurt to send out resumes and test the waters.

San Francisco, CA