Effortless English Archives

Automatic English For The People

Saturday, December 30, 2006

Slow but Steady

As I mentioned in the last post, I haven't had much time for much other than teaching at my school in San Francisco, and working on Effortless English.

Unfortunately, my own language study has suffered. I haven't studied Spanish since October... almost a three month break.

But this week I started back again. I've been reviewing my old materials-- just 20 or 30 minutes a day. Its not much. Its not intensive. But its all the time I have, and is certainly better than nothing.

I've also been dabbling with a little Japanese- since I have a live-in tutor ;) This doesn't even fall into the category of "study"... just learning an odd word or phrase here or there.

Still, if nothing else, its good to be involved in learning a language because it makes me a better English teacher. I'm better able to understand my students and empathize with them. I'm also able to test various materials and learning methods directly and make decisions based on experience (as well as research).

For all these reasons, I still adamantly believe that all TESOL/ESL teachers should be learning a language. In fact, even if you have already mastered several foreign languages, its good to be in the process of learning one right now-- it gives you that immediate experience and thus immediate empathy with your English students.

English Learners- Learn English With Me At Effortless English.


Relaxed English Learning-- Anytime, Anywhere-- Try One Month for $1.99